Welcome to Undergraduate Advising in Mathematics
Working closely with a professional academic advisor is the best way to stay on track toward graduation. Math advisors work with students to discuss course selection, registration, major requirements, transfer credits, and important resources on campus to increase student success and retention. Math majors have a robust advising team invested in their learning. In addition to an academic advisor, students have faculty advisors for UHP, math major with an actuarial science specialization, and upper-division course planning.
Ways to meet with an Advisor:
Schedule an appointment
Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. A 30-minute appointment is ideal for:
- Declaring a major in mathematics (B.A.)
- Long-term degree planning
- Review of major programs
- Review of transfer credits/credit reevaluation process
- Probation review (for CSE math majors)
When sending an email be sure to include your first and last name, your student ID number, and a brief explanation about your question or concern. Appointment slots fill quickly, especially during peak times during the semester. As a result, scheduling appointments in advance is encouraged. Please note that same-day appointments will not be scheduled.
Prepare for an appointment
- Look at your 4-year plan and make a tentative list of courses you plan to take next semester.
- Review your APAS report and write down any questions about graduation requirements.
- Think about how classes are going and how you're doing with life on campus.
- Write down any ideas you have about research, internships, &/or study abroad.
Drop-in hours are great for addressing quick (10-15 minute) questions or concerns related to math, as well as minor declarations. We do not review student records during drop-ins; questions related to completing your math major requirements will be referred to an appointment. You do not need an appointment for drop-in advising. Advising is done on a first-come, first serve basis.
Spring 2019 Drop-in Hours:
- Tuesdays: 2:30 pm-3:30 pm
- Wednesdays: 9:30 am-10:30 am
- Thursdays: 2:30 pm-3:30 pm